The problem with talking behind someone's back is that the story usually gets back to the one you are talking about. And if you slander someone, they find out about it. The result is that you look pretty bad and the person you lied about looks quite good. That about sums up what happened in the recent Presidential debate between Mitt Romney and Barack Obama.
The fact is that most people don't pay much attention to politics until after Labor Day and most of them don't pay much attention to the race for President until the first Presidential debate. So, for many of the 65 million or so that watched the debate between the incumbent President and the former Governor of Massachusetts, this was their first exposure to the candidates, other than the barrage of commercials that were aired on TV. And, if you were lucky (or unfortunate, as you may think it) enough to live in a "battleground" state such as Virginia, North Carolina, Florida or Ohio, you received a double blast from the Romney and Obama political shotguns. For months you have been treated to personal attacks on Mitt Romney as a low down, merciless, greedy, evil businessman who doesn't give a whit for the concerns of the poor or the middle income folks. From the hundreds of millions of dollars spent on pro-Obama, anti-Romney ads you would think that Romney beats his wife, eats caviar for dinner every night, kicks the dog, and spends his time figuring out how he can benefit the rich at the expense of everyone else.
When you spend several hundred million dollars developing a false narrative of your opponent, the only thing you can hope for is that the truth doesn't come out. It is said the campaign book at the Obama headquarters has one theme, "kill Romney." Now, the Obama folks don't mean that literally, but they do mean it politically. Frankly, I'm not offended at the theme, except if it means slandering Romney. In this case, painting a picture of Romney as a heartless monster was exactly the theme. The success of the entire campaign rested upon creating this false caricature of Mitt Romney. If they could do that, they felt they could win the election.
But when the first Presidential Debate took place, Romney failed to cooperate. People saw that he was not the awful person that had been portrayed in the multitude of personal attack ads run against him on TV. Neither was he a bumbling idiot. The President tried to continue the false attacks on him, claiming that he would raise taxes on the middle income folks, but the problem was it just wasn't true. Yes, one ITT (In the Tank) Think Tank came up with a cockamamie analysis that indicated that the Romney plan would raise taxes on the middle income folks by $5 trillion, but several other much more reputable think tanks, including the American Enterprise Institute, found the plan to be either revenue neutral or actually a reduction. The Wall Street Journal also concluded that the Romney plan would not raise taxes on anyone. Nonetheless, the President proceded to repeat this canard over and over again.
Surely someone on the Obama political team knew about the preponderance of analyses that concluded the Romney plan would not raise taxes on the middle income folks, yet they advised the President to proceed with this patently false attack. What gives? Did they expect the moderator, a kindly liberal fellow, Jim Lehrer, to come to Obama's aid? And speaking of Jim Lehrer, the Obama ITT media and other liberal mouthpieces are outraged by the moderator's even handed handling of the debate. Even though the President spoke for five minutes more than Romney, they think Obama got a raw deal. What he really got was a political knock out from someone more talented, more accomplished, more knowledgeable, and more prepared than the President. Barack Obama lost fair and square. I have heard it said that a compulsive liar is speechless when confronted with the truth. Maybe that was what happened at the Presidential Debate.
So, the President and his politicos simply acknowledged that he lost, conceded victory and moved on, right? No, they didn't. The problem was that they had bet everything on convincing the voters, especially the swing voters, that Romney was someone he wasn't. So, instead of moving on, they have decided to double down and label Romney a liar.
I guess we shouldn't be too surprised since that comes right from the book that Obama taught from, Rules for Radicals, by Saul Alinsky—accuse your opponent of what you are guilty of. Staying on the attack is one of the tenets of Alinsky. Never let your opponent go on the offensive.
Speaking of lying, it's hard to know where to start with Obama. Here is the very short list of some of the whoppers that Obama has told…
- I never heard my pastor say anything like that, i.e. "G__ D__ America" or in regard to 9-11, "The chickens came home to roost." He said that with a straight face after sitting in his church for more than 20 years, donating more than $20,000 and dedicating his (as it turns out) third book to him and calling him a confidant.
- I hardly knew Bill Ayres. Ayres is the unrepentant domestic terrorist that bombed the Capitol Building and tried to bomb the Pentagon. Obama knew him and his radical wife, Bernadine Dohrn, quite well. He launched his state senate race in the home of Bill and Bernadine, he served on a board with Bill, he talked with him frequently, yet claimed to not know him well.
- I do not support one payer health care like Canada. He can be seen on video tape saying that he prefers one payer health care.
- I support clean coal in coal producing states during his first run for president. At the President's direction his EPA has virtually shut down all coal production.
- I support all forms of energy production. Oil exploration has gone up during my term in office. Obama has stated in private conversations that he is not interested in any energy except green energy. The fact is that during Obama's term in office oil exploration has been shut down in the Gulf of Mexico and squeezed to a near halt on all federal lands.
- I never voted to let babies die that were accidentally born alive instead of aborted. False. Not once, but twice Obama voted against the Born Alive Infants Protection Act, an Illinois bill that was meant to provide protection for babies born alive after attempted abortions.
- Libyan Ambassador Christopher Stevens was killed as the result of a spontaneous demonstration against an anti-Islamic video produced in the US. The White House knew that the attack was not spontaneous and that it was likely an attack by Al-Qaida within 24 hours of the event, yet the President kept telling this lie a week later.
- We have created millions of new jobs. If that is true, why are there fewer people employed today then there were when Obama was inaugurated?
- I have always reached across the aisle to work with the Republicans. Never once has the President attempted to work with Republicans to solve problems. He has never compromised one iota.
- Amnesty for undocumented workers [illegals] was blocked by the Republicans. The truth is that for two years the Democrats had total control of Congress. The Republicans couldn't block anything. Yet, the President tells his Hispanic supporters that it is the Republicans fault.
Nearly every day the President utters another lie. Even claiming that Romney lied is a lie. His administration is not only filled with liars, it is also filled with law breakers. For example, his Attorney General, Eric Holder, has told lies under oath before Congress in regard to Operation Fast and Furious. His Secretary of Health and Human Services, Kathleen Sibelius, violated the Hatch Act by campaigning for the President. The White House engineered an advisory telling Lockheed Martin that it did not need to abide by the law requiring them to issue a notice to their workers that they may be laid off due to looming defense cuts. When a Republican Congress was elected in 2010, the EPA illegally bypassed Congress and issued regulations that were not approved by Congress when put to a vote.
The list goes on and on. This White House has total disrespect for the law, for Congress, and for the United States Constitution, yet the ITT media always gives Obama a pass. Even more than that, in the case of Operation Fast and Furious, CBS and others essentially covered up the scandal by not reporting it. Verbal gaffs by the President and by Vice President Biden simply go unreported.
For this President and his team to talk about Romney lying is sheer hypocrisy. As the talk show host Chris Plante likes to say, "If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all." Indeed.
But don't expect the White House team to change its colors. The next few weeks will be dirtier and more dishonest than anything you have ever previously witnessed in politics. The Obama ship is sinking. The polls are not only up, they are headed further upward and Obama the narcissist can't stand that.The next presidential debate will undoubtedly be less fair. It is a town hall set up and the moderator will be fully in Obama's camp. He or she knows what happened to Jim Lehrer when he failed to help out Obama in the last debate. He was derided as incompetent, out of date, unfair, etc. This time, you can be sure that Obama will be in full attack mode and the moderator will be giving him a boost at every turn. You will probably get an inkling of the compliant ITT media in full attack mode at the upcoming Vice Presidential debate this coming Thursday. Stay tuned for the fun and games.
Post a Comment